Dubai is one of the world’s most famous sightseers. Since it attracts millions of people each year. If you are interested in sharing the culture, history, and attractions of this city with others, you might think about getting a tour guide license Dubai. However, in order to operate as a tour guide in Dubai, you must first get a license. It is available through the Department of Tourism and Commerce Marketing (DTCM).
In this article we will explain why a tour guide license Dubai is necessary. That the benefits of becoming a licensed tour guide are. What the qualifications and qualifying criteria are, and how to apply for a tour guide license step by step in this post.
Why is a tour guide license in Dubai important?
A tour guide license is not only a legal necessity in Dubai, but it is also a sign of quality and expertise. However, it is important to remember that you might need an employment visa in case if you are not a citizen.
Obtaining a tour guide license will allow you to:
- Work legally as a tour guide in Dubai and avoid any fines or penalties from the authorities.
- Gain access to exclusive benefits and discounts from DTCM and its partners. Such as free or discounted entry to attractions, museums, parks and events.
- Enhance your credibility and reputation among tourists and tour operators, as they will trust your knowledge and skills.
- Improve your career prospects and opportunities, as you will be able to work with different types of tours, such as cultural, historical, adventure, shopping, etc.
- Join the Dubai Tour Guide Association (DTGA), a professional body that represents and supports licensed tour guides in Dubai.
Now, if you are wondering how to get tour guide license in Dubai, we have some answers right here.
Advantages of becoming a licensed tour guide
Becoming a licensed tour guide in Dubai can offer you many advantages, such as:
- Enjoying a flexible and rewarding career that allows you to meet people from different backgrounds and cultures, share your passion and enthusiasm for Dubai, and learn new things every day.
- Earning a good income that depends on your experience, skills and performance. The average salary for a tour guide in Dubai is AED 4,500 per month.
- Having the opportunity to travel and explore different places in Dubai and beyond. As some tours may take you to other emirates or even countries in the region.
- Developing your personal and professional skills, such as communication, presentation, customer service, problem-solving, teamwork, etc.
Furthermore, this can also be a great working opportunity if you are looking how to open a business in Dubai or the UAE.
Understanding the requirements for a tour guide license in Dubai
If you are currently looking how to get tour guide license in Dubai, we have some advices and answers for you. To apply for a tour guide license Dubai, you need to meet certain requirements set by DTCM. These include:
If you want to work as a tour guide in Dubai, you must meet certain requirements. To begin, you must be a UAE citizen or a Dubai resident with a valid residency visa. Additionally, you must be at least 18 years old and have a solid command of your English skills. You shall be conversant with Dubai’s history, culture, and tourism attractions. However, you must pass an exam that covers these topics.
Furthermore, you must also pass a background check and obtain a certificate of police clearance. However, if you complete these requirements, you will be eligible to work as a certified tour guide in Dubai. Understanding and meeting the criteria may look tough at first, but with good research and preparation, you will be able to obtain your Dubai tour guide license.
- You must be at least 18 years old.
- Have a valid residence visa in the UAE.
- You must have a sponsor who is either a DTCM-licensed tour operator or a DTCM-approved hotel or hotel apartment.
- A valid health certificate issued by the Dubai Health Authority (DHA).
- Finally, you must have no criminal record or pending cases in the UAE.
If you meet these requisites, you are already on your way to get your DTCM Dubai tour guide license. Also, you can start thinking about renting an office in Dubai eventually.
Obtaining a tour guide license Dubai requires a variety of educational qualifications. These qualifications are designed to ensure that tour guides have the knowledge. Furthermore, they are necessary to corroborate that applicants have the necessary expertise to effectively lead tourists around the city.
The following educational qualifications are required to receive a tour guide license Dubai:
- A high school diploma or its equivalent.
- A degree in tourism or hospitality management, or a related field.
- A minimum of three years’ experience in the tourism industry.
- A valid UAE driver’s license.
- An English language proficiency test.
- Completion of a training course in tour guiding, as approved by the Dubai Department of Tourism and Commerce Marketing.
Prospective tour guides must also pass an aptitude exam in addition to these requirements. This assesses their understanding of the region’s history, culture, geography, and attractions. The exam is intended to guarantee that tour guides are competent and capable of presenting their customers with a pleasurable and instructive experience.
Tour guides in Dubai must also demonstrate strong interpersonal and communication skills. Additionally, they must be able to effectively interact with guests from a variety of cultures and backgrounds and provide an enjoyable and informative experience for each tour.
However, tour guides might need to have good physical condition. For some it might be necessary to walk great distances, climb stairs, and carry bags.
Those who complete the educational requirements and pass the aptitude exam will have their tour guide license Dubai. Therefore, they will be able to begin conducting city tours.
Working as a tour guide in Dubai requires a high level of language skills. Tour guides must be able to communicate fluently in English, Arabic and any other language in which they are qualified.
However, applicants trying to obtain a tour guide license Dubai must demonstrate a high degree of fluency in the language they will use for guiding. The following are some prerequisites for obtaining the license:
- Proficiency in English:
Applicants must be fluent in English and understand the language. This includes fluency in grammar, vocabulary and pronunciation.
- Proficiency in Arabic:
Applicants must also have a basic understanding of Arabic, as many of Dubai’s tourist attractions and activities require an understanding of Arabic.
- Understanding of the local culture
Tour guides must also be knowledgeable with the region’s culture, customs, and history. This is critical for giving visitors the best possible experience.
- Communication skills:
Tour guides must be able to successfully explain and answer questions regarding destinations and activities, as well as give a courteous and helpful service to guests.
- Study other languages besides English and Arabic.
Remember a lot of people with a tourist license visit Dubai ever year from all around the world. Therefore, you may also get extra language certificates for popular tourist languages like Spanish, German, French, Russian, Hindi, Chinese, and so on. DTCM issues these certificates after passing an oral test in each language.
Being a tour guide in Dubai is an excellent opportunity to share the region’s beauty and culture with visitors. Moreover, anyone with the proper language abilities, understanding of local culture, and communication skills may become a successful tour guide in Dubai.
Step by step guide to get a tour guide license in Dubai
The process of obtaining a tour guide license is not as difficult as it seems and requires only a few simple steps. First of all, candidates must have good knowledge of English and the ability to communicate with visitors. Moreover, they must also hold a valid work visa and complete a certified guide training course.
After following this, candidates must pass a written and oral test before being issued a license. Additionally, they must provide other documentation such as a background check and a medical report. However, it is important to remember that there is a tour guide license price or fee, which will discuss furtherly.
Submission of documents
- Prepare all the required documents for your application. These include:
- Copy of your passport with valid residence visa
- A copy of your sponsor’s trade license
- Copy of your health certificate from DHA
- A copy of your high school diploma or equivalent
- Four passport-sized photos
- Copy of your tour guide training course certificate
- A copy of your DTCM tour guide examination certificate
- Copy of your additional language certificates (if any)
- Completed application form
- Submit all the documents to the Tourist Guide Section at DTCM office in Al Garhoud. You can also submit them online through the DTCM website or mobile app.
- Pay the tour guide license Dubai fee of AED 1,000.
- Fill out the application form for a tour guide license Dubai. Good thing is that you can download the form from the DTCM website. However, you could also get it from the Tourist Guide Section at the DTCM office.
- Make sure to provide accurate and complete information in the form. Such as, your personal details, sponsor details, educational qualifications, language skills, etc.
- Sign and date the form and attach all the required documents.
Training and examination
- Enroll in a DTCM-approved tour guide training course from an accredited institution. You can find a list of approved agencies on the DTCM website or contact the Visitor Guides Department at the DTCM office for more information.
- Complete the course and obtain a certificate of completion. The course duration is usually 10 days and covers topics such as UAE history and culture, tourism industry and regulations, tour guiding skills and techniques, etc.
- Register for the DTCM tour guide examination. You can register online through the DTCM website or mobile app or visit the Tourist Guide Section at DTCM office.
- Pay the examination fee of AED 500.
- Take the test and pass it with at least 75% score. This evaluation consists of two parts: oral and written. The oral part tests your communication and presentation skills in English and Arabic. The written part, whatsoever, tests your knowledge of UAE history and culture, tourism industry and regulations, etc.
Approval and licensing
- Wait for the approval of your application from DTCM. This may take up to 15 working days.
- Receive your tour guide license from DTCM. The license is valid for one year and must come to renovation annually. Therefore, you will have to an AED 500 renewal fee and submitting a copy of your valid DHA health certificate.
- Start working as a licensed tour guide in Dubai and enjoy the benefits and opportunities that come with it.
Becoming a tour guide in Dubai is a wonderful way to share your passion for the city with others while earning a good income and having a flexible and rewarding job. To work as a tour guide in the emirate, you must first obtain a license from DTCM. Which requires meeting certain requisites and following some specific regulations.
In this post our team has been describing why a tour guide license is vital in Dubai for those who want to work in tourist sector. Also, what the benefits of being a licensed tour guide are, what the prerequisites and qualifying criteria are, and how to apply for a tour guide license Dubai step by step.
However, if you need more information, contact us today. We will happy to help on your trip to obtain a tour guide license Dubai.